ENROLL NOW FOR
60hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training
MARCH 31 - MAY 26 2023
This comprehensive training develops your own personal practice and lifestyle so that you can create and deliver impactful class sequences as a certified Yin Yoga Teacher.
Registration deadline is Friday, March 10
Ottawa 60hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training Program
Part-time Weekday, In-Person Training in Ottawa
Our life-changing program is a right fit if you are:
- interested in understanding the key fundamentals of Yin Yoga in order to develop your own personal practice
- planning to teach Yin Yoga and want to develop your mindset, teaching skillset and business acumen so that you can share your passion with your community
- seeking proper certification in Yin Yoga with a recognized Yoga Alliance approved program
- looking to take Continuing Education Credits with an experienced lead trainer who is an Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider (YACEP)
- interested in reviewing your lifestyle and integrating health-promoting habits for a transformational way of being
- ready to live your best life and inspire others to do so as well!
"The Yin Yoga program was very informative!
Great hands on practice. I got to explore aspects of Yin Yoga that I was unaware of. Thank you so much for this wonderful experience, it has truly changed my life!"
History & Philosophy
- An overview of the origin & philosophy, of Yin yoga
- The definition of yoga, Yin yoga, Yang yoga and meaning of the Yin/Yang symbol
- Understand the relationship between
asana (poses), pranayama (breath techniques) and meditation
- The essence of the Tao and key themes of the text, Tao Te Ching, by Lao Tzu
- How yoga philosophy relates to
practice through your self-reflection
How to address Yin & Yang tissues of the body
The Theory of Exercise
Anatomy & Physiology
- The anatomy basics of Yin yoga
- How Yin yoga addresses the body differently than Yang yoga
- The role of Yin yoga on the physical body (Muscles, Fascia, Bones, Joints)
- The definition of connective tissue and its role in flexibility, stability, mobility and pain
- The fountain of youth of Yin yoga - hydration of deep fascia
- Yin and Yang of the nervous system - the affects of Yin yoga on the nervous system such as the ‘fight, flight, freeze’ stress response, 'rest, digest, procreate' relaxation response, vagal theory and overall mind-body connection
- Yin yoga for recovery and performance
- The subtle anatomy of Yin yoga
- Yogic anatomy and physiology (koshas, kundalini, chi, vayus, chakras)
- Yin and Yang qualities
- Meridian Theory & Energetics (Traditional Chinese Medicine, Five Element Theory, Zang and Fu Organ pairs, meridians, acupuncture & acupressure)
- The mapping of emotions and their home Organ
- Various breathing techniques (pranayama) and the effect of breath on anatomy and subtle body
- How to practice and teach Yin poses integrating pranayama techniques such as Long Deep Breathing, Ujjayi and Orbiting Breath
- The application of bandhas (energy locks) to affect subtle energy
- How to use mudras (hand positions) to channel energy
- How to assess energetic needs and apply appropriate techniques
Yoga Asana (Poses)
- How to practice and teach over 25 main Yin yoga poses
- The 3 pillars of a Yin pose practice
- How to practice and teach each pose safely by providing alignment cues, modifications and integrating with breath
- How to use counter poses when coming out of a Yin pose
- How to use props to make poses more accessible to differently abled bodies
- The proper alignment principles of Yin yoga poses, contraindications and how to prevent injuries
- How to categorize poses into the key asana groups and which meridians can be stimulated
- How to analyze poses to understand their anatomical and energetic benefits
- How to assess your own body's alignment needs and those of your class attendees
- How to explain the purpose and benefits of meditation
- How to integrate the observer mind into the poses and practice mindfulness
- How to setup and prepare for meditation
- The use of breath, eye focus and mudras for meditation
- How to practice a variety of meditations using silence, with and without mantra
- How to develop your own meditation practice
- How to effectively teach meditation
- How to use a variety of mantras, the purpose and benefits of mantra and sound for your body, mind and spirit
- How to create a welcoming, sacred space for your class
The language of Yin (teacher cueing, student self-awareness, how to set intention and allow for inner work, the difference between teaching Yin and Hatha)
- The art of sequencing a Yin yoga class in order to create a safe, effective and balanced class plan
- How to create class themes for the season, for the meridians, or to target areas of the body
- How to sequence your class for the audience you have in mind
- How to use verbal and visual cueing when teaching
- How to make effective use of music and sound to match the pace of your class and intention of each phase
- How to manage your class from beginning to end
- How to teach with your authentic voice
Personal Development & Self Care
- Strategies for developing a daily personal yoga practice for self-assessment and customizing your plan and goals
- Self-reflection and tools for personal growth using journaling & assignments relevant to the topics covered each class
How to improve your overall health using Chi Vitality:
Digestion and elimination: their role with connective tissue, joint health and overall vitality
Healing with whole foods according to Traditional Chinese Medicine
The physiology of warming and cooling foods
Excess and deficiency (how to self-diagnose, identify symptoms, body-type)
Dietary recommendations for excess and deficiencies
- How to convey the features and benefits of Yin yoga to your audience
- How to identify your niche and ideal client
- How to create your message to your ideal client
- How to market and promote your classes
- The value of staying connected with your peers and trainer for momentum, support and for continuing education
- How to feel competent and confident from your experience of teaching your classmates the various components of a class: opening with mantra, pranayama, individual yoga poses, relaxation, meditation and closing with mantra
- Draw from your experience of hosting your own 'friends & family' practicum class
- How create your class sequences and have access to our library of class sequences available online
- How to use the feedback and suggestions from your mentor and peers
- How to keep honing your skills with your accountability partner, peers and mentor
Yoga & Tea Studio
“Great course! What I enjoyed most was learning about the meridians, the Yin classes each morning and learning the difference between yin and yang. I learned so much and am excited to share my new knowledge with my future Yin yoga students!”
Nayeer Khourany Salem
October 2018 graduate
Yoga & Tea Studio
“I felt very comfortable and welcome at the Yoga & Tea Studio. A beautiful place to practice and learn. I enjoyed starting each day with a Yin practice, practicing the poses and being given class plans to practice.”
October 2018 graduate
Yoga & Tea Studio
“Navjit Kaur was an exceptional guide and teacher who led us with her gentle ways of expressing the Yin Yoga practice. I most enjoyed experimenting with the yoga poses and the modifications, as well as the definition and explanation of Yin Yoga. It was a beautiful experience and I would highly recommend this training to everyone.”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“Navjit Kaur and the Yin Yoga program were very informative. Great hands on practice. I got to explore aspects of Yin Yoga that I was unaware of. Thank you so much for this wonderful experience, it has truly changed my life!”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“I enjoyed most the hands on approach to teaching, the time taken to adapt/modify the poses, the history, western & eastern views, meridians, TCM and Dao. Thank you! I am grateful for your teachings.”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“The content was delivered in a calm, well paced speed. The lessons really spoke to me. It has been an honour learning from you. Thank you for your kindness and for sharing your gift with us.”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“Thank you for your depth of knowledge. You held a wonderful and supportive space for all to grow and share in.”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“Navjit Kaur taught in a calm, knowledgeable, compassionate way and was very present to our needs. I most enjoyed the yogic view of energy and the mind/body/soul connection, learning all of the poses and attending the 90min Yin class sessions. Thank-you!”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“This course makes it easier to make my own practice broader, more meaningful and interesting. The course expanded my knowledge of yoga in such a way that I can make better use of it. You must become aware of the Yin aspects of yoga in order to make greater use of it.”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“This course gave true insights into why and how Yin is so beneficial. I most enjoyed the material on the physical body, Chinese meridians, Daoism, meditation and the morning 90min yin class session. Your classes are wonderful, I like that we do few poses but verbal cues really help to deepen my experience. My practice will never be the same! Thank-you!”
Yoga & Tea Studio
“This Yin training program compliments Hatha Teacher Training perfectly.”
It's All in the Details...
This program will give you a deeper appreciation of this much-needed yoga practice, and explain why it compliments other active yoga practices!
- Become a mindful and confident Yin Yoga Practitioner & Teacher with this comprehensive yoga training program
- Receive your certification to qualify for 60 Continuing Education Credits (CEU) with Yoga Alliance, enabling you to work your way towards the 500hr RYT certification
- Train with our award-winning studio
- Enjoy a low student to teacher ratio that will promote more individual attention and personal development
- Learn at a comfortable pace with this 1 day a week program spread over 8 weeks (keep your weekends free!)
- Train with our knowledgeable lead trainer, an expert in their field and over 15 years of experience in health & wellness
- Receive an official Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) for Tuition and Education Tax Credits for personal or business tax purposes
My name is Navjit Kaur, and I'm the Lead Trainer (E-RYT 500, YACEP) and creator of this program. I've had the honour of training people like you to become a yoga teacher since 2012.
My approach in this training is to provide you with the necessary experience of being a student of yoga first, to develop your personal yoga practice at home, so that you can then authentically teach from what you know, and understand the essence of yoga by going your own wins and challenges both on the mat and off.
I'm a mom, wife, Professional Engineer and Yogipreneur, so I understand what it's like to be pulled in so many directions, and is why I love sharing how these ancient yoga philosophy and techniques help you to deal with modern day issues relating to stress, health and relationships.
My students describe me as having a great sense of humour, as being approachable, caring, inspiring, an effective communicator, and super organized. My goal is to make this program accessible to varying fitness levels, to provide introspection and growth, an opportunity for you to heal, and be challenged to excel through your perceived blocks.
I'm also certified as a Food For Life Cooking Instructor, by the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM), and integrate into the program how plant-based diets can help to prevent and reverse illness. You'll learn many self-care techniques in this program to decrease inflammation and pain from your body so that you can move with more ease and flexibility.
Since 2005, I've taught well over 5000 hours and continue to deepen my own personal practice and the art of teaching by taking continuing education.
Your journey within begins with taking this first step and I look forward to welcoming you on this path!
March 31 - May 26, 2023
The training program takes place on eight Fridays, from March to May - so you can keep our weekends free!
This schedule format allows you learn at a comfortable pace, and provides more time to assimilate the theory, put it into personal practice and come prepared for the next day of training with your questions and observations.
The daily schedule will be presentations on philosophy, history, anatomy, poses and include guided practices, demonstrations, hands-on teaching and partner/group work.
Training Day & Time:
9:00am - 5:00pm, Fridays
Training Dates: Total of 8 days
- March 31
- April 14, 21, 28 (no class on April 7 - Easter Friday)
- May 5, 12, 19, 26
|11:00am - 12:30pm||Lecture/Activity/Discussion|
|12:30pm - 1:30pm||Lunch Break|
|1:30pm - 3:00pm||Lecture/Activity/Discussion|
|3:15pm - 5:00pm||Lecture/Activity/Discussion|
|Day 1||Welcome & Intro to Yin Yoga|
|Day 2||History & Philosophy of Yin Yoga|
|Day 3||Anatomy & Physiology of Yin Yoga|
|Day 4||Yoga Anatomy, Meridians, Acupressure Points & Chi|
|Day 5||Yin Yoga Poses, Sequencing & Teaching Methodology|
|Day 7||Meditation & Sound|
|Day 8||Personal & Professional Development|
Note: Exact timing of content and delivery may vary from shown table
Certification Requirements for Graduation
- Full attendance of all in-person training dates (up to 10% of the program can be missed due to travel or illness; otherwise, absence exceeding this allowable time will have to be made up and there may be an extra fee)
- Successful completion of quizzes and homework assignments
- Yoga class practicum taught to family and friends
- Yoga class practicum taught to peers in the training
When You Enroll in Our 60hr Yin Yoga Teacher Training
In this unique training you receive:
- personalized attention in this low student to teacher ratio (10:1) class environment
- experienced training from a lead trainer who has followed a yoga lifestyle for 15+ years
- online office hours with your instructor to ask your questions and to get feedback
- course manuals and carefully curated supplemental material you'll need as resources for your yoga journey
- recap quizzes after each module to ensure that you have understood the material and content
- access to your own Google Classroom account to submit your homework assignments and read teacher feedback
- access to music playlists and artist recommendations to build your music repertoire for teaching yoga
- knowledge of tools to build your yoga class sequences and scripts
- peer accountability groups
- an understanding of how to teach as your authentic self
Bonus #1: Lunches Included
Yes, that's right! Let us take care of you - no need to figure out what to pack for lunch. That's 8 lunches taken care of!
- Enjoy whole food, plant-based meals
- Includes recipes for each meal
- Experience a broad range of cuisine from around the world
Have some food allergies? Mention it on the in-take form and we can accommodate
Bonus #2: Life-time Access
You will have lifetime access to our invaluable training membership site, where you can view these incredible resources:
- Recordings of yoga class sessions
- Yoga class sequence pdfs
- Recordings of how to teach individual yoga poses and warmups
- Review of some course content
- Recordings of office hours
- Module summaries
- Homework assignments
- Music playlists
- Recommended tools and resources
Bonus #3: Yoga Self-Care Kit
You'll be learning yogic self-care routines in this training, so we've included these essential body-mind goodies for you:
- Gua Sha massage stone
- Massage oil
Bonus #4: Trainee Discounts
Get 15% off all items* in our store, while you're a trainee in this program!
Stock up your yoga practice space with:
- yoga accessories (mats, blocks, bolsters, cushions, blankets, eye pillows, etc)
- books, CDs, diffusers, candles, artwork
- ayurvedic products (oils, spice blends, herbs)
- massage tools (*except MELT products)
Bonus #5: Yoga & Tea Swag Bag
Time to represent! Receive these awesome branded items:
- Y&T tote bag
- Y&T travel mug (hot/cold)
- Y&T pen
- and a complimentary 5 Flexible Class Pass!
This training is intended to be continuing education for already 200hr certified yoga teachers, as an additional module towards higher certification. Upon successful completion of this training, yoga teachers will receive a certificate of completion and 60 CEU.
However, this training is also open to you if you are professional in the wellness/movement industry (massage therapist, chiropractor, physical therapist, fitness trainer) but you will not receive the 60 CEU unless this program and instructor credentials are approved by your industry.
This training is also open to those who are just interested in deepening their knowledge of Yin yoga and not teaching it; however, you are still expected to complete all of the quizzes, homework assignment and teaching practicums if you are to participate. You will not by certified to teach, if this interests you, then you need to complete one of the 200hr trainings we offer such as Hatha or Kundalini.
If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!
Aside from the time spent in-person on the training days, we suggest budgeting 8-10 hours a week towards practicing yoga, homework, and reading. This ensures you get the most out of all the
program has to offer and to experience a transformation both physically and mentally.
A typical week might include:
- 30-60 minutes of at-home daily yoga practice
- 1-2 hours of assigned reading
- Homework and journaling
Participants are expected to review the material and practice at home in the time between training days, so that questions and observations can be discussed in the following training day.
This program is the perfect fit for you whether you’re just getting started with yoga, or if you’ve been at it for a while.
Everyone is coming to this program with a different background. The most important thing--more than time or years spent practicing -- is your passion, dedication and commitment to your own personal practice and learning. We welcome you regardless of your level and ability, as long as you are passionate about deepening your understanding of Yin yoga and how to apply this knowledge to everyday life. If that’s you, this training will be a deeply enriching experience.
Yes, this training is still valuable for you. You can take this training for personal reasons and to deepen your yogi knowledge. However, you may not plan on teaching but in this program in order to show your comprehension of the material you will be asked to demonstrate and teach to your peers, and friends/family. This will deepen your understanding of yoga, put it to practice and in the process of teaching others it forces you to frame your knowledge in your own words - that's when true mastery and understanding of a topic occurs.
Although you may not plan on teaching, your full participation in this program is expected and will require you to teach practicums and include your involvement in all topics covered.
Yes, it is possible and we ask that you always check first with your healthcare provider and reach out to us prior to enrolling to ensure that we can accommodate your injury or health condition. We’ve had students with different abilities and challenges take this training with great success.
A place to practice yoga at home, ideally a dedicated room or space.
In terms of props:
- At a minimum, you will need a good quality yoga mat, suggested thickness to be 6mm to 1/4 inch.
- Other commonly used props in Yin yoga and what will be used in demonstration of the poses are the following: 2-4 yoga blocks, a cushion, bolster, blanket, eye pillow, strap and a back-jack chair
- You will have access at the studio to other props like blocks, blankets, cushions, bolsters, straps and more to determine what you prefer to use for personal practice and how to use them with clients.
- You can use your trainee discount to purchase additional props for personal use from our store.
In terms of technology:
- For accessing the training membership site online, you will need a computer and fast, reliable internet.
- Homework and quizzes must be submitted online
- Basic proficiency with using the internet is required
In terms of language:
- Proficiency with speaking, reading and writing in English, as all instruction and the final
exam is given in English.
Yes, this program has been approved by Yoga Alliance, an international association governing high quality, safe, accessible, and equitable teaching of yoga. The lead trainer for this program, Navjit Kaur, is recognized as a Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider (YACEP). When you graduate from our training, and you are already a certified yoga teacher (RYT-200 or higher) you then receive a certificate of completion for 60 Continuing Education Credits (CEU).
Yes, if you are already certified as a yoga teacher (RYT-200 or higher) or equivalent wellness/movement specialist accreditation (massage therapist, chiropractor, fitness trainer, etc). You can obtain insurance to teach private clients, corporate, gyms, studios, and even start an online yoga business.
Our graduates go on to teach at:
- Gyms and fitness centers
- Yoga Studios
- Senior Centers
Our curriculum is based on what Yoga Alliance sets forth as guidelines, and what makes it unique is our lead trainer, Navjit Kaur, and her 15+ years of study of yoga, meditation, wellness, and teacher training experience. This training expands on elements established by Yoga Alliance, with a focus on establishing a solid foundation on the philosophy and intention of yoga coupled with a modern perspective to sharing these ancient teachings so that yoga becomes a lifestyle.
This program continuously evolves by including the latest and best of publications and tools to facilitate your learning, implementation and teaching yoga. Also it includes an online component with the library of recordings and resources available to you for revisiting material and as a lifetime reference.
The delivery of this program is to address you as a whole being, which means focusing on your mind, body and spirit, to truly embody the essence of what it means to practice yoga. You are developed as a student of yoga first, and then that experience shapes you to become a teacher of yoga.
With the convenience of provided lunches each day, a smaller class size to foster an intimate and caring community, experienced trainers and the use of current technologies, you can see how this program will accelerate your journey of transformation.
Yes, when you enroll in this training program, you have lifetime access! That means that ALL of the available online content such as the class recordings, pose demonstrations, and other resources will be accessible whenever you want to revisit the content.
(Because hearing, seeing and doing what's taught in the lessons repeatedly is what helps to retain that information!)
Yes! The physical practice of yoga is just one aspect of it and this program also covers pranayama (breathwork), meditation, Taoism, energy meridians, basics of Traditional Chinese Medicine, daily and seasonal routines for self-care, personal reflections and how to discover contentment in your life.
Many graduates tell us they gain clarity on various aspects of their life as they move through this program. A yoga teacher training is by nature a transformational experience - it meets you where you're at and takes you where you need to go. If you’re feeling stuck or need change in any area of your life, this training is an opportunity to develop self-awareness, intuition and use the tools of yoga, the support of your peer group and guidance of the trainers to help you proceed through your challenge.
Absolutely! Yoga is not a religious practice but can be defined as a spiritual practice which unites the body, mind and spirit. It is an ancient philosophy and physical practice that does not interfere
with any religious beliefs and we welcome questions if contradictions or belief conflicts arise. Whatever your belief system is, this training will help you to deepen your experience of spirituality. Due to the fact that this style of yoga evolved from China, you will learn about its origins, history and practices from that context so as to keep the teachings of yoga as pure, intact and effective in its original form.
This training is offered on a yearly basis, so if the current schedule does not work for you, then join the email list at the bottom of this page to be contacted with future dates.
Enrollment in this program (full payment or payment plan) is non-refundable.
We understand that life happens and unforeseen circumstances can disrupt every good intention to attend every training day. As per the absence policy laid out by Yoga Alliance, you can miss up to 10% of the training program, which in this schedule amounts to 1 day.
If you miss more than 1 day, you may be required to schedule make-up time with the trainer at their discretion. Any make-up time will be charged extra at their rate for private sessions.
If you miss any training days, you are still responsible for catching up on missed material and submitting assignments. You can reach out to your peers for support and make use of the online office hours for questions.
Yes! There are some info sessions and studio tours scheduled for you to attend in-person at the studio, or online via Zoom. If you would like to attend, sign up at the bottom of this page to be notified via email of the upcoming dates.
"Men are born soft and supple; dead, they are stiff and hard. Plants are born tender and pliant; dead they are brittle and dry. Thus whoever is stiff and inflexible is a disciple of death. Whoever is soft and yielding is a disciple of life. The hard and stiff will be broken. The soft and supple will prevail."
- Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching)
Time with Navjit Kaur to go over content and homework.
If you are not able to attend the session, then submit your questions…Read more
Time with Navjit Kaur to go over content and homework.
If you are not able to attend the session, then submit your questions on the training forum.
This session will be recorded.Read less